Founded in 1991, Gilbert Leadership brings together individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to develop their leadership potential and to expose participants to the issues impacting our community. By understanding the needs and concerns in a wide variety of areas, these individuals will be better able to contribute their resources to making a difference in many ways.
- Gain an understanding of a variety of community processes and programs
- See first-hand the challenges and demands facing our town, including economic, social and political forces impacting the community
- Engage in dialogue and other leadership exercises to expand opinions and remain objective while demonstrating respect for various points of view
- Learn about the many opportunities to serve the community through civic engagement and volunteerism
- Become inspired to serve or lead initiatives and projects to benefit our community
- Foster strong and lasting connections with a network of leaders
Participants are eligible for graduation upon earning a predetermined number of program points through participation in a combination of learning days, individual community tours, curriculum participation, and the mandatory community project. Additionally, program graduates are asked to help facilitate one learning day during the following fiscal year.
Gilbert Leadership candidates are required to live or work in Gilbert or be employed by a business holding an active membership with the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce for at least one year. Candidates should possess a commitment to community involvement and personal growth and have a desire to improve the local community.
Interested candidates must submit a written application and will then be invited to an in-person interview. Final selection is made by the Gilbert Leadership Board of Directors. Class applications are accepted March 1st - July 5th each year.
Each learning day offers a unique exploration of the community. These days are organized by current Gilbert Leadership Board Members and past class members with careful consideration for providing a robust and impactful experience. Facilitated lectures and hands-on settings that explore a variety of topics and provide an inside-look at the key functions of our community. Learning Day focuses include:
- Team Building
- Leadercast (a simulcast event)
- History of Gilbert
- Economic Development
- Public Safety
- Health & Wellness
- Community & Social Engagement
- Reflect & Connect/Graduation